Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Reflective Report on Soldered & Enamelled ring...


My aim with this piece was mostly to test a technical problem when working with enamel, which was whether I could torch fire and enamelled element once it has been soldered to something i.e. a shank.

The ring design as one similar to a pair of earrings I had previously made which were inspired by the shape and form of a clam.

Ultimately I found out that you can torch fire enamel onto a soldered object, but it depends on how the objects are soldered, and the melting point of the enamel. With my piece the enamel took a while to become vitreous and as a result of this the shank melted into the element on top slightly, and the area around the solder join became incredibly dirty. To clean the joins then became the next problem because most enamels get cloudy when they come into contact with acid, so I had to paint the acid onto the dirty areas with a brush… which worked quite well.

I learned that it is possible, but risky, to enamel soldered objects…

No comments:

Post a Comment