Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Paua shell pendant





With this project I wanted to play with different materials. in a previous meeting with my lecturer we discussed possibly using actual artifacts from the sea (shells, glass, coral) instead of just using them as reference material. For this piece i kept the setting very simple so that it didnt take any focus away from the shell itself. The most beautiful thing about the ocean, to me, is that everything is hidden. The detail, the beautiful corals and creatures are all hidden beneath a somewhat boring surface. For my next pieces i want to focus on how the surface can be plain and the underneath detailed and more interesting
. I think this piece managed to express that thought a little... I find the back of the setting more beautiful than the front of the shell... I'm hoping to further this idea with my future pieces.






No comments:

Post a Comment