Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Thinking...mmm.

My B-tech Theme is based on the ocean, its colours and its creatures. I have always been drawn to the ocean, but have never been entirely sure why. Throughout my B-tech year I will be manufacturing jewellery that relates to the sea and in the process discovering where my love for the ocean stems from.

These are some interesting facts/statements that I found in the foreword of ‘Into The Deep’, written by Don Walsh.


“It is difficult to comprehend the ocean’s breadths and depths, let alone the splendid diversity of its life.”

I agree with Don Walsh’s statement, beneath the oceans surface is an incredibly vast variety of creatures and corals, most of which only a select few have seen first hand.


“Earth – it really is the wrong name.”

According to Walsh, the oceans cover more than 70% of the earth’s surface area, and living space hidden beneath its surface is 543 million cubic kilometres. Looking at these statistics it is understandable how one could feel so removed and out of touch with this huge expanse of water.


“More humans have visited the moon than have been to the deepest part of the ocean.”

I love this statement. Mans fascination with the depths of the ocean is very similar to mans fascination with space; both of these places are not immediately accessible or tangible.

No comments:

Post a Comment