Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Platinum metal prep

Once I was given my platinum, and my bench was clean and ready, I started making my earrings. As seen in the photo below, when melting or annealing platinum we have to look through a piece of dark glass to avoid damaging our eyes because the metal glows so brightly when heated up...


each member of our group was given a bar of platinum. Luckily my earrings are going to be made of wire so I didnt have to worry about melting any of the platinum, I just rolled and pulled the wire straight from the little bar. I had forgotten how much faster platinum work hardens compared to silver. When I started pulling down my wire I could only pull it through one hole on the draw plate, and then I would need to anneal again.

After what seemed like forever, I finally finished my wire for the earrings...

No comments:

Post a Comment